RFR for JDK-7168267: TEST_BUG: Cleanup of rmi regression tests (activation and others)

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Fri Dec 20 02:47:08 UTC 2013

Hi Tristan,

Changes mostly look good.

There is an ignored InterruptedException in both versions of
UseCustomSocketFactory.java, but that was there already; it's not clear what
should be done in this case anyway. This is something to keep in mind for a
future cleanup. Hm, some duplicate code here as well, again something to think
about for the future.

There is a serious problem with the change to ReadTimeoutTest.java, however. The
change removes the (old) line 72, which is

     TestIface stub = impl.export();

probably because there was an IDE warning that the variable "stub" is unused.
This much is true, but it's essential for impl.export() to be called, because
that exports the object, which creates a socket using the socket factory, which
eventually results in the fac.whichPort() call below returning the port that was
open. In the absence of the export() call, whichPort() returns zero which causes
the test to abort immediately.

In addition, the refactoring to use try-with-resources changes the order of
execution of certain code, and it changes the scope of things handled by the
finally-block.

One purpose of the finally-block is to unexport the remote object so it makes
sense to begin the try-block immediately following the export. The original code
did this (well, only after a benign local variable declaration). The change
moves the try-block few lines down, which means there is a larger window of time
within which the finally-block won't be executed. This isn't obviously a
problem, but it's a change nonetheless.

Also, the change alters the order of opening the client socket and the
"connecting to listening port" message, so the message comes after the port is
opened, instead of before. Again, an apparently small change, but if there's an
exception opening the port, the port number being opened won't be printed out.

The main point of the changes to this file, however, is good, which is to
replace the unsafe use of multi-thread access to a boolean array and polling of
that value, with a CountDownLatch. So that part of the change should go in. The
problem is the apparently innocuous code cleanups (use of try-with-resources,
removal of apparently unused local variable) which cause the test to break or
otherwise change its behavior.

I could go ahead and push this changeset, omitting the changes to
ReadTimeoutTest.java. Or, you could update the changeset to revert all of the
changes to ReadTimeoutTest.java except for those necessary to implement the use
of CountDownLatch. Either way is fine with me.

Which would you prefer?

s'marks