Build error with GCC4.8 on Fedora19

Omair Majid omajid at redhat.com
Wed Jul 10 19:01:06 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 03:40 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> I would like to see a comment explaining why the option was needed. Is
> this a bug in gcc or has the checking just become better?

-Werror is not a great default. It means "all warnings are errors". The
set of warnings that a compiler emits changes all the time. Users and
distributions can enable additional warnings by default. Newer compiler
versions may omit additional warnings. So on any compiler other than the
typical compiler used, extra warnings are possible. With -Werror, this
will probably fail. Lots of people discourage it [1].

We have been setting SCTP_WERROR="" to disable this -Werror on Fedora
builds [2].

Cheers,
Omair

[1] https://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/02/future-proof-your-code-dont-use-werror
[2]
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/java-1.8.0-openjdk.git/tree/java-1.8.0-openjdk.spec#n425
--
PGP Key: 66484681 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = F072 555B 0A17 3957 4E95  0056 F286 F14F 6648 4681