Build error with GCC4.8 on Fedora19

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Jul 24 18:33:43 UTC 2013

On 10/07/2013 12:01, Omair Majid wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 03:40 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>> I would like to see a comment explaining why the option was needed. Is
>> this a bug in gcc or has the checking just become better?
> -Werror is not a great default. It means "all warnings are errors". The
> set of warnings that a compiler emits changes all the time. Users and
> distributions can enable additional warnings by default. Newer compiler
> versions may omit additional warnings. So on any compiler other than the
> typical compiler used, extra warnings are possible. With -Werror, this
> will probably fail. Lots of people discourage it [1].
>
> We have been setting SCTP_WERROR="" to disable this -Werror on Fedora
> builds [2].

I'm curious if there was a conclusion on this one. I assume SCTP_WERROR
was originally intended for building libsctp (not libnio) so it would be
strange to add to SCTP_WERROR to disable -Werror for issues coming from
the file system code. One other thing that isn't clear is why there
aren't other warnings as there are many other JNI functions in this
source file that don't use the "jclass this" parameter.

-Alan