Review request: JDK-7147084 (process) appA hangs when read output stream of appB which starts appC that runs forever (v.1)

Alexey Utkin alexey.utkin at oracle.com
Thu Jul 11 09:03:13 UTC 2013

Rob,

Could you help me with bug review. It stay in review pool too long.
Nobody like to look into the native code.

Here is the long problem & solution description:
https://jbs.oracle.com/bugs/browse/JDK-7147084?focusedCommentId=13322689&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13322689

Discussion thread:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2013-May/016753.html

Bug description:
      https://jbs.oracle.com/bugs/browse/JDK-7147084
      http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=7147084

Here is the suggested fix:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~uta/openjdk-webrevs/JDK-7147084/webrev.01/

Summary for  v1 changes:

-- The set of handles that need to restore the inherit flag was extended
by child process IOE handles. That was done to avoid "greedy sibling"
problem for the file handles. The file handles are closed outside the
synchronized block.
-- "Greedy sibling" problem is covered by the
[test/java/lang/ProcessBuilder/SiblingIOEHandle.java] test.
-- The fact that the set of current process standard IOE handles and the
set of child process IOE handles can intersect was taken into account.
-- The [test/java/lang/ProcessBuilder/InheritIOEHandle.java] was changed
in accordance with Martin's concern.

Regards,
-uta