8016036: RMI specification needs to be updated to allow Activation on remote hosts

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Sat Jul 27 19:24:15 UTC 2013

On 10/07/2013 21:15, Stephen Flores wrote:
> Bob, Sean,
>
> Please review this webrev
>
>   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sflores/8016036/webrev.00/
>
> for RFE/CCC: 8016036 RMI specification needs to be updated to allow
> Activation on remote hosts
I didn't see any replies to this but I chatted briefly with Stuart Marks
about this a few days ago as it's not clear (to me anyway) that this is
the right thing to do. In particular it would be good to understand why
the specification can't be changed to allow for environments that
doesn't support multiple VM instances or where it's not possible to
launch a new VM. This would amount to not supporting activation in such
environments. Has this approach been explored? It could of course
require being creative in the specifications but there are other
examples of this type of thing.

-Alan