RFR JDK-8022224: Intermittent test failures in sun/nio/cs/FindDecoderBugs.java, ,

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Thu Aug 6 07:52:27 UTC 2015

On 6 Aug 2015, at 00:28, Martin Buchholz <martinrb at google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Chris Hegarty <chris.hegarty at oracle.com> wrote:
> The change looks ok to me Sherman.
>
> Should the bug synopsis be updated? It looks like a test bug rather than a product one.
>
> Why do you say that?  The JISAutoDetect charset is being fixed here, no?

When I first looked at this I expected it to be a test only bug. I was just initially surprised to see that it was actually a product bug.  I guess I think the synopsis should read something like “Fix JISAutoDetect charset”, or something, rather than specifically mentioning a jdk regression test.  Given both Sherman’s and your comments, this is not worth debating.

> Sherman: Thanks for fixing this.  I've observed this in the wild a couple of times myself.
>
> (Although flaky tests are annoying, finding actual bugs makes it so worth it!)

Right.

-Chris.