LogManager.readConfiguration doesn't document IAE and NPE.

Daniel Fuchs daniel.fuchs at oracle.com
Wed Mar 18 15:16:27 UTC 2015

On 18/03/15 14:56, Jason Mehrens wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> It occurred to me after reading Brian's patch for https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8075362  that the LogManager.readConfiguration methods do not document NPE or IAE that can be triggered by Properties.load.  Do we need to file a bug just against logging or should larger bug be filed to check all of the JDK code that is calling Properies.load?

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the heads-up!

java.util.logging has a blanket statement concerning NPE, stating that
NPE will be thrown when parameters are null, unless null is explicitly
permitted.

I am not sure that we need to document every unchecked exception
that might happen down the road. That could end up with pretty
cluttered and obscure exception clauses.

That said the case where IAE is thrown seems straightforward, so
we might consider to add it to readConfiguration. Not sure whether
that would require a CCC or not.

Do others on this list have a strong opinion on this subject?

best regards,

-- daniel