RFR 9: 8138696 : java.lang.ref.Cleaner - an easy to use alternative to finalization

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 15:14:20 UTC 2015

Hi Roger,

This looks nice. Javadocs (in particular mine) will need some work
though. I agree that clear() and clean() implementations are final so
that subclasses can not interfere with (de)registration. Perhaps the
same could be done to isEnqueued() and enqueue() so that subclasses
would not be able to pretend they can do something about those methods.
I think the xxxCleanableList fields in CleanerImpl can be wildcard
typed: XxxCleanableReference<?> xxxCleanableList = ... The same can be
done to prev/next fields in XxxxCleanableReference classes and to local
"list" variables in insert()/remove() methods. Unsafe casts and
@SuppressWarnings annotations can then be removed.

Regards, Peter