RFR 8206955 MethodHandleProxies.asInterfaceInstance does not support default methods

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 16:32:13 UTC 2018

Sorry Paul for hijacking the thread, just answering to Remi ...

On 07/11/2018 05:31 PM, Remi Forax wrote:
> [...]

If the generated class used invokeExact on the method handle, bytecode
should be generated specifically for each tuple (interface type, method
handle type), as the needed conversions of arguments/return values would
be specific for each distinct combination of the two types.

...which would still mean that you would define new anonymous class for
each method handle instance, just the bytecodes would be generated once
per (interface type, method handle type) combination.

The method handle could then be constant-folded in the generated class,
but selection of the underlying proxy class would still be governed by
the proxy instance which would be invoked via the interface method on
the functional interface. If the proxy instance could not be
constant-folded (i.e. was not assigned to static final field and used
from it), the combined invocation performance would still not be the
same as using invokeExact on the constant method handle, would it?

So perhaps for this API it is more suitable to:

- define the specific proxy class once per (interface type, method
handle type) combination (and cache the class itself, not just bytecode)
- have that proxy class implement a constructor taking the method handle
and assign it to a @Stable instance field
- implement the single interface method as parameter/return value
conversions around invokeExact on the method handle taken from @Stable
instance field

If such proxy instance was constant-folded, so would be the @Stable
method handle field, right?

What do you think of this strategy?

Regards, Peter

> cheers,
> Rémi
>

>> On 07/11/2018 12:43 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please review this fix to MethodHandleProxies.asInterfaceInstance to support
>>> default methods:
>>>
>>>     http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk/JDK-8206955-mh-func-iface-proxy-default-methods/webrev/
>>>     <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~psandoz/jdk/JDK-8206955-mh-func-iface-proxy-default-methods/webrev/>
>>>
>>> It probably requires a CSR, which i shall do after this review.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Paul.