API for parsing path strings

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Mon Jul 23 17:53:32 UTC 2018

Roger,

Having written internal library code for both javac and jtreg to do what
you suggest, I would support such an API.

I note that as well as parsing system properties, it would also be a
useful API for command-line tools that accept paths as options.

However, I would suggest that it is more appropriate to return a
List<Path> than a List<String>.  It is better to bias the API towards an
appropriate type (i.e. Path) than to leave it to the user to create a
stream to do the conversion.   Those folk that still want a File can
still create the stream to do the conversion if they so desire.

By converting to Paths as part of the API, it becomes a clearer point to
specify and document the possibility of InvalidPathException.

-- Jon