API for parsing path strings

Roger Riggs roger.riggs at oracle.com
Mon Jul 23 18:04:18 UTC 2018

Hi Jon,

I agree that supporting Paths leads people in the right direction.
Two considerations led me to propose the simpler String version first.
1.  Early parsing of paths can occur before the file systems that
support Path have been initialized.
2.  There is an additional exception that can occur when creating a Path
(InvalidPathException)
and the caller may want to handle it individually.

Adding another method that returns List<Path> is a straightforward addition.
Keeping the string version may make adoption easier.

Thanks, Roger