RFR: 8212794 IBM-964 and IBM-29626C are required for AIX default charset

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Wed Nov 28 10:10:50 UTC 2018

On 2018-11-28 10:36, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 28/11/2018 09:28, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> I'm quite unsatisfied with the current handling of character sets in
>> the build in general. :-( I'd really like to modernize it. I have a,
>> slightly fuzzy, laundry list of things I want to fix from a build
>> perspective, but I'm not sure of what "external" requirements are
>> coming from AIX and the general core-libs agenda regarding character
>> sets in general.
>>
>> I think there is a good opportunity to solve many problems at the
>> same time here, as long as everyone agrees on what is the preferred
>> outcome.
> The support in the build to configure the charsets to include in
> java.base on each platform has been working well. Charsets that aren't
> in java.base go into the jdk.charsets service provider module and that
> has been working well too.
 From the result point of view, perhaps, but definitely not from the
build perspective. ;-) But yes, I understand this is functionality that
should be kept.
> One thing that we lack is some way to add charsets for specific
> platforms and this comes up with the IBM patches where they are
> looking to adding several additional IBM charsets. One starting point
> that we've touched on in several threads here is dropping the EBCDIC
> charsets from the main stream builds. Going there will need build support.
So build support for trivially adding specific charsets to specific
platforms? Both to java.base (for AIX) and jdk.charsets, I presume, then?

Can you expand on the issue of dropping ebcdic? What's the problem that
needs build support?

/Magnus