[12] RFR: 8210633: Cannot parse JapaneseDate string with DateTimeFormatterBuilder Mapped-values

Naoto Sato naoto.sato at oracle.com
Mon Sep 24 20:39:32 UTC 2018

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the review.

On 9/22/18 11:57 PM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> The change seems simple enough.
> Does the test prove the change though? I thought the issue was with
> months, not years?

The jira issue refers to both. Added the month-of-year map testing as well:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~naoto/8210633/webrev.01/

In fact, the submitter is trying to use this mapping for "Gannen" (first
year of the era) support for the upcoming Japanese new era (May/2019),
where formatting the first year would result in "元年". Currently,
j.t.SimpleDateFormat can display this with 'y' pattern, as it is
calendar specific [1], DateTimeFormatter's 'y' is for digits only.

Naoto

[1]
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/10/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html#year