RFR: JDK-8211161: java.lang.ArithmeticException: divide by zero from java.text.DecimalFormat.format()

joe darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Wed Sep 26 16:59:23 UTC 2018

Hello,

It may be reasonable to replace a divide by zero with check for a
floating-point -0.0 with a bit-level check, but the stated motivation is
not reasonable.

The Java platform requires that floating-point divide by zero return an
infinity (or NaN as the case may be) and it is *incorrect* and
non-conformant to throw an ArithmeticException in that case. Such
behavior violates the language the JVM specs.

Cheers,

-Joe