ProcessHandle.Info startInstant() drifts with system time on Linux

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at oracle.com
Wed Aug 7 17:42:20 UTC 2019

Hi Markus,

core-libs-dev at openjdk.java.net is the more appropriate list for this
question.

The ProcessHandle info is based directly on the OS information about a
process, there is no separate information stored or kept.
If Linux had a stable way to represent the start time it would be
reflected in the ProcessHandle info.
Changing the clock on any running system is fraught.  So many time
related actions depend on linear and/or monotonic progression of time.

Re-reading the boot time would be a performance hit and be subject to a
race condition with setting time.
The process handle also uses the start time to validate a ProcessHandle;
since the cached boot time does not change the value is stable for that
check.

A workaround for your application might be to save the relative start
time by reading the boot time directly from /proc or the relative start
time from /proc.

Roger