RFR (XS) 8221307 : String.substring() OOB exception on start index reports improper information

Ivan Gerasimov ivan.gerasimov at oracle.com
Thu Aug 8 18:47:04 UTC 2019

Hi Claes!

On 8/8/19 6:56 AM, Claes Redestad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> perhaps a stupid question, but why isn't String::substring(int)
> calling substring(beginIndex, length())? That'd ensure consistent error
> messages, but otherwise preserve semantics.

It's a good point, actually!

I suspect that originally substring(int) had a separate implementation
for performance reason.

I agree, it would make most sense to implement one via another unless
there's a performance penalty.

Let me do some measurements, and then I'll report back.

With kind regards,

Ivan

--
With kind regards,