jpackage current status

Michael Hall mik3hall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 15:45:22 UTC 2020

> On Feb 21, 2020, at 9:41 AM, Michael Hall <mik3hall at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 21, 2020, at 9:39 AM, Philip Race <philip.race at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't understand what you are doing here.
>> It is like you are copying around an application
>> which has dependent libraries but not copying those libraries.
>>
>> Copying bits out of the JDK to some other location isn't something you can expect to work.
>
> It has worked for me in the past for the java command when applications need that and the build has not included it.
>

>> And why does your application need jpackage ?
>> It is a developer tool, not a run time tool ?
>>

> It runs commands. I am considering a jpackage wrapper command. Possibly including some use of jlink.

For example…

exec java -version
openjdk version "14" 2020-03-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 14+36-1461)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14+36-1461, mixed mode, sharing)

exec jshell -version
jshell 14

However,

exec jpackage --help
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "jpackage": error=2, No such file or directory
	at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)