RFR: 8336843: Deprecate java.util.zip.ZipError for removal

ExE Boss duke at openjdk.org
Fri Aug 23 20:02:05 UTC 2024

On Tue, 20 Aug 2024 10:24:25 GMT, Eirik Bjørsnøs <eirbjo at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review this PR which suggests to deprecate the unused class `java.util.zip.ZipError` for removal.
>
> The class has been unsed by OpenJDK since  the ZIP API was rewritten from native to Java in JDK 9.
>
> I opted to not explain the reason for the deprecation in detail, but instead simply point to `ZipException` as an alternative. Should more explanation be desired, I could prepend that with a note saying that the class is unused since JDK 9.
>
> A CSR for this API update has been drafted, I'll update the Specification section there once we reach a concensus on the deprecation note in this PR.
>
> This deprecation was initially suggested here: https://mail.openjdk.org/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2024-June/125720.html

There’s also [HMCL’s `org.jackhuang.hmcl.util.io.CompressingUtils`][1], which catches `ZipError` to convert it to a `ZipException` when run on **Java 8** ([this was also mentioned in the linked core‑libs‑dev discussion][2]).

[1]: https://github.com/HMCL-dev/HMCL/blob/95a1496389e6a8c2f51697706a20055a7952b8a5/HMCLCore/src/main/java/org/jackhuang/hmcl/util/io/CompressingUtils.java#L218-L220
[2]: https://mail.openjdk.org/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2024-June/125724.html