Any update for the bug database?

David Herron David.Herron at Sun.COM
Mon May 21 19:25:34 UTC 2007

Oh yeah Tom, you just reminded me of another question...

The OpenJDK incorporates code from some external projects.  Just like
many projects do.

So it wouldn't be just how do we push bug data between the public and
private systems; but how do we interface our bugs with our own upstream
projects?  What happens when a bug in one project becomes dependant on a
bug in some other project?

I suppose that today the connection is handled manually.. e.g. set a URL
in the bug description or evaluation.  Wouldn't it be nice if the bug
systems automatically handled these connections?  Some kinda protocol
between bug systems.  But this is much to large a problem to consider
fixing on a global scale right away.

As for targeting a bug for multiple releases ...  clearly a bug can
appear in multiple releases depending on when the bug was created and
when it was found.   We tend to fix an issue in the HEAD release and
optionally backport it to earlier releases based on customer needs.  For
example this lets the fix bake in the HEAD release to give some time for
testing and usage to shake out whether any bugs were created in the
process of fixing the bug.  (I don't care how good a developer you are;
sometimes more problems are created while trying to solve a problem)
This means the bug status (closed/fixed/open/etc) needs to be maintained
for each related release.

- David Herron