New Group Proposal: OpenJDK Conformance

David Herron David.Herron at Sun.COM
Sun Oct 7 19:36:02 UTC 2007

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 15:40 -0700, David Herron wrote:
>
>> Mark Wielaard wrote:
>>
>>> So, how do they compare to japi-tools? How are they used? Are the
>>> results of running the tools and the source available to the public?
>>> And are they intended to become free software as part of openjdk?
>>>
>> These are the tools
>>     http://www.jcp.org/en/resources/tdk
>>
>> Seems you need to be a JCP member to access some of those, however the
>> javatest harness is opensource (as I'm sure you're aware) at
>> http://jtharness.dev.java.net
>>
> Nice. The Signature Test and the Spec Trac tools sound very interesting.
> And having the sample TCK under the GPL would encourage more TCKs under
> a free software license by default. So are these the tools, source code
> and guides that the Conformance team would maintain as part of OpenJDK?
> Are jtharness and jtreg currently part of the OpenJDK Quality Group
> projects?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

I cannot speak for their plans - as I said before, SQE != Conformance,
and I'm in the SQE team.

But thinking about and looking at this ... I'd say it would be a mistake
to make those tools part of the OpenJDK project.  There are TCK's other
than for Java SE.  I'm sure you have heard of Java ME and Java EE.
These TDK tools are used by the whole Java ecosystem, not just the Java
SE team.

My thought is many of those tools would be useful as open source
widgets, but not within the OpenJDK project.  Maybe as part of the
jtharness project?  But at the end it's up to the team which makes those
tools what they will do with them.

FWIW on Friday while we were IRC'ing this thought came to mind (personal
opinion) that if there is to be a hope for properly open source JSR's
then the tools to create and manage a JSR and a TCK should be open
source.  But if this is to happen it is a JCP issue, not one for the
OpenJDK project.  As I understand it the OpenJDK project is about Sun
opening our specific implementation of Java SE, and that the JCP is
still managing the Java ecosystem.  We did not "open source Java", we
open sourced a specific Java SE implementation.

- David Herron