official 'porters' group

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Wed Oct 31 15:15:09 UTC 2007

Hi Dalibor, Hi Kurt,

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 16:02 +0100, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Kurt Miller wrote:
> > I'm not familiar with mercurial at all. We've been using cvs. The
> > JDK src is imported into vendor branches, changes are made to
> > support the BSD's and then patchsets are cut by doing diffs
> > against the original src in the vendor branch. In the end we
> > need either a patchset off official Sun sources or a complete
> > source distribution that includes our changes. So long as
> > mercurial can accomplish those needs it would work for us.
> >
> I've CC:ed Mark Wielaard on this to see if what we are doing on the
> icedtea mercurial repository is similar.
> I hope he can provide some insight, he mentioned "mercurial queues" on
> IRC after being poked
> around by me. :)

Actually I said we aren't doing it yet for IcedTea :) But we really
should when the switch to mercurial is completed.

Mercurial Queues is pretty nice for keeping patch sets on top of an
upstream mercurial repo. You can even keep and publish the patchsets in
their own mercurial repo so you can collaboratively work on them. You
pull your patches when you refresh the mercurial tree from upstream and
then push them again to rebase. MQ knows about the whole mercurial way
of managing files so it is as if you are working on the actual tree
while still keeping your patchsets separate. There is some very nice
documentation about it at: http://hgbook.red-bean.com/hgbookch12.html
"Managing change with Mercurial Queues" from "Distributed revision
control with Mercurial" by Bryan O'Sullivan which is highly recommended.

Cheers,

Mark