hg: jdk7/deploy: 185 new changesets

Andrew John Hughes ahughes at redhat.com
Wed Jun 16 16:51:46 UTC 2010

On 16 June 2010 17:37, Mark Wielaard <mark at klomp.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 17:11 +0100, Andrew John Hughes wrote:
>> >
>> > It would be the right forest for such an effort, in my opinion, if the
>> > effort
>> > existed, however, I do not control what the deployment team works on. ;^)
>> >
>> > Was that weaselly enough wording? ;^)
>> >
>> Just about ;-)
>>
>> The effort is right here:
>> http://icedtea.classpath.org/hg/icedtea6/file/tip/plugin/icedteanp/
>> :-P
>
> Now you are confusing me. Is this new deployment forest about the
> release of the promised GPL webstart and applet plugin source code from
> Sun (now Oracle)? To quote Joe Darcy:
> http://blogs.sun.com/darcy/entry/openjdk_and_the_new_plugin
>
>        "I'm happy to announce that within the next few months as part
>        of OpenJDK, we are Sun are committed to open sourcing our Java
>        Web Start implementation and the new plug-in implementation for
>        NPAPI capable browsers; those browsers including Firefox 3,
>        amongst others."
>
> Or is this the forest that the free GPL IcedTea NP (netx plus
> icedteaplugin) will be hosted in the future?

Sorry for confusing you.  It was too open an opportunity to avoid
taking a cheap shot.

We don't know what it's about.  It could finally be the release of the
Oracle plugin and Web Start implementation.  Alternatively (and sadly,
more likely), I think it's just a case someone did a hg pull from the
jdk7 forest and pushed it up to the public deploy forest with the
intent of having somewhere to do minor bugfixes to the existing code.

By pointing to our code, I was pointing out that the FOSS community
has already replaced this missing component that Sun, and now Oracle,
have failed to provide.

--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8