How do I resign?

David Herron david at davidherron.com
Fri May 6 16:43:50 UTC 2011

Hi all, I have a question which the OpenJDK website wasn't able to give me
an answer.  I've come to a point where I realize I'm not ever going to get
around to contributing anything to the OpenJDK, I realize that I have a
voting role in one or two Group, and that because I'm not contributing to
the OpenJDK that I should not have those Group Member roles.

I'd started to send this a week ago - but the kerfluffle over interim
governance board stuff made me stop and wait a week.  I'm trying to keep
this to the fact that I'm not involved in the project and shouldn't have any
actual roles in the project, but I that I do have a voting role in at least
one Group.  However one can draw a parallel between that and a couple of the
governance board members, for whatever that's worth.

Specifically, I am Member of two Groups:  Porting, Quality

The Quality Group was a good idea we had while I was still a Sun employee
but I was never allowed to take it beyond what is on those pages on the
OpenJDK website.  That's a personal disappointment for me because I believe
the OpenJDK (like Netbeans, Drupal, and other high profile open source
projects) deserves to have a publicly operated quality team.

It's the Porting group where I have some concern, because it has actual
activity and I have to pay enough attention to cast votes occasionally.
 It's possible that I might miss a call for votes, not cast my vote, and
delay something or other within the OpenJDK project.  Weeell, okay, Dalibor
is a smart guy who probably won't miss a lack of vote and he does know where
to find me if need be.   In any case it would be better for my Group Member
seat be held by someone who is involved with the OpenJDK project, is paying
attention, has skin in the game, etc.

I went over the OpenJDK website and did not find any discussion of the
structure of Groups and Projects nor discussion of how to become a Group
Member, what are the roles, duties, benefits, requirements, etc.  I wonder
where this is documented?  And, more importantly, isn't this important
enough to be documented clearly?  It is a key bit to the operation of the
OpenJDK project.  UPDATE: It seems from the discuss at openjdk.java.net emails
the last week the documentation may be in the governance document being
discussed.

+ David Herron
http://davidherron.com