Successfully building 32- and 64-bit OpenJDK 8 on WinXP/64bit with free tools only

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Mon Nov 7 17:19:21 UTC 2011

Sean,

I am not sure what you mean by "installed" - installed into
\windows\system32
or installed in the JRE bin directory?  But the latter is the only way
its supposed to
work, and the build should take the copy of freetype.dll you provide to
it, and
copy it to that location. At runtime, freetype is treated like any other
JRE provided
DLL, such as awt.dll, net.dll, etc. The difference is only at build
time, since the openjdk
sources don't contain the freetype sources. You need to build it separately.

-phil.