Java End of Life Time

John Yeary johnyeary at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:30:24 UTC 2012

Ugh!

I wasn't implying that it shouldn't be supported right now. As Mark, and
Andrew pointed out there are some obstacles and opportunities: "Official"
JDK 7 is not available for Mac OSX, and the user community will likely need
support for OpenJDK 6 going forward.

Denis pointed out that Windows builds are not necessarily being consumed
with vigor. This will likely be the case as the JDK advances on for  other
versions as well.

I am kind of surprised by Andrew though... I find that folks who are using
OpenJDK on RedHat will tend to migrate from old tech to new tech quickly.
;-)

I think that with limited resources, the folks who are working on OpenJDK
(volunteers not paid) will likely focus on the next generation stuff.
Anecdotal evidence based on experience. It does open the opportunity for
companies to support it in the ecosystem for older editions. Even back
porting changes in 7, 8, 9... if they will work and improve the user
experience.

There are a number of banks who are still on JDK 1.4.2. This represents a
big obstacle to moving forward. Eventually, it will be a bigger task once
they decide to move ahead. Hopefully, the move won't be to JDK 6. It is
like falling up stairs. ;-)

John

____________________________

John Yeary
____________________________

<http://javaevangelist.blogspot.com/>  <https://twitter.com/jyeary>
<http://www.youtube.com/johnyeary>
  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jyeary>
<https://plus.google.com/112146428878473069965>
  <http://www.facebook.com/jyeary>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/JavaEvangelistJohnYearysBlog>
  <http://netbeans.org/people/84414-jyeary>

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt