Bug System Pilot Dev Workflow: DRAFT Accepted/Understood

Peter Jensen peter.jensen at oracle.com
Thu Jan 19 21:01:51 UTC 2012

On 01/19/12 11:07, Phil Race wrote:
> If by "process" you mean "accept" and leave lying around, maybe.
If I'm looking at it from the outside, trying to answer if we're on
track to complete in time,
then I don't care. If I'm trying to optimize Development operation, then
I might.

> Since if you don't have an evaluated state then you really don't know
> how well development
> really processes bugs. Getting them into triaged/open tells you
> something about incoming
> rate (not everything since it ignores bugs that go straight to
> incomplete or closed for some reason
> such as being  a duplicate or will not fix, or not a bug etc). So
> looking at "open" bugs
> really tells you the ones that dev. is not really handling beyond the
> 2 minute triage.
Only, if you assume Evaluated is used consistently. If it's optional (up
to teams or individuals),
the distinction is only useful when you know to which bug it applies.

> Evaluated and other states, such as the closed state are what tell you
> if they are really handled.
Not really. I've seen issues sitting idle as "Fix Understood" for months
and years. Bugs can also get stalled waiting for validation, and a
non-negligible percentage will fail validation. State only tells me what
(supposedly) has been done. It not a good indicator of what's being
done, or when you can hope for completion.

> Tags are not the same as states or sub-states. They are free-form
> keywords with no
> guarantee of consistency and probably a lot less efficient to search
> on too. So I
> can't agree with anyone who tells me tags are a suitable replacement
> for a state/substate.
I agree about tags. I think they are just a safety valve for things you
didn't anticipate.

But it doesn't have to be tags. You can use substate or other fields
with well-defined values.
For instance, instead of the state Evaluated, with substates Cause Known
and Fix Understood, you could easily have just Open, with substates
Backlog (default), Cause Known and Fix Understood.