AArch64 port first release

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 16:30:53 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew, Henrik,

congratulations! This is really good news.

I just got really puzzeled when I read the recent Oracle/ARM announcement:

"ARM AND ORACLE ANNOUNCE PLANS TO OPTIMIZE JAVA SE FOR ENTERPRISE AND
EMBEDDED MARKETS"
(http://www.arm.com/about/newsroom/arm-and-oracle-announce-plans-to-optimize-java-se-for-enterprise-and-embedded-markets.php)

They announced that "ARM ... has entered into a multi-year agreement
with Oracle to further optimize the existing Java Platform, Standard
Edition (Java SE) for ARM® 32-bit platforms and to add Java SE support
for ARMv8 64-bit  platforms."

How does this agreement affects the AArch64 OpenJDK port?

Henrik, I think it would be really sad if Oracle would start a
competing, closed ARMv8 64-bit port on their own. Or are there any
plans to merge the porting efforts in the OpenJDK? At least in the ARM
announcement the word OpenJDK (or even 'open' :) isn't mentioned with
a single word!

Thank you and best regards,
Volker