Is Java WebStart Deprecated?

Robert Zenz robert.zenz at sibvisions.com
Tue Nov 7 08:52:22 UTC 2017

apt/yum/zypper/etc. are very, very good and can be used as alternative, but it
would require that a command is run as root on *every* target machine. So this
either must be automated (like remote calls over ssh), or the user is given root
rights and the trust to do this (who would want that?). That seems rather
tedious compared to the WebStart/JNLP mechanism (especially for rather fast
moving applications), especially as such a solution would be bound to a specific
OS/distribution.