Is Java WebStart Deprecated?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 10:42:31 UTC 2017

On 11/7/17, Robert Zenz <robert.zenz at sibvisions.com> wrote:
> apt/yum/zypper/etc. are very, very good and can be used as alternative, but
> it
> would require that a command is run as root on *every* target machine. So
> this
> either must be automated (like remote calls over ssh), or the user is given
> root
> rights and the trust to do this (who would want that?). That seems rather
> tedious compared to the WebStart/JNLP mechanism (especially for rather fast
> moving applications), especially as such a solution would be bound to a
> specific
> OS/distribution.

+1 for getting Java Web Start supported if not officially then as part
of an OpenJDK subproject with community involvement. Call it OpenJDK
browser launch or whatver you want.

I know a few apps that use JWS and I use often. muCommander being one of them.
The ability to just point at the site and launch the latest version
without having to mind about updating a locally stored copy is one of
the strengths of the JWS solution that no other approach can match.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MuCommander

see also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Web_Start#Notable_applications

FC