Is Java WebStart Deprecated?

Thierry Guérin t_guerin at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 13:39:29 UTC 2017

Sorry Mario, the comment was directed at Oracle, not OpenJdk or other
vendors. I'm aware that other vendors offer 32 bit versions of OpenJDK
9, but :

- they do not offer (AFAIK) Windows 32bit JRE with built-in Java Web
Start support. I'm aware that RedHat does package IcedTea-Web in its
OpenJDK (only 8 at the moment), but it's marked experimental for Windows
- it's far more difficult to make some of our bigger clients install a
JRE (on hundreds of their users' Windows computers) from a vendor that
they have not certified

So for my company, the sudden disappearance of Oracle-built 32 bit JRE
was a bad surprise. That's why I'd like to know if there's a roadmap for
the removal of Java Web Start, so we can plan ahead.

Cheers,
Thierry