Accelerating the JDK release cadence

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Thu Sep 14 15:22:57 UTC 2017

2017/9/14 2:13:58 -0700, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg at apache.org>:
> Le 6/09/2017 à 16:49, mark.reinhold at oracle.com a écrit:
>
> Will the new version scheme also affect the language level? How will
> that play with JEP 182? Will we see an accelerated deprecation/removal
> of old source/target levels in javac?

I expect the language level to use the same versioning scheme as the
platform itself, as it always has.

The deprecation/removal policy, not just for the language level but also
for APIs and other types of interfaces, will need to be reformulated
given that feature releases will be much more frequent.

>>  - After JDK 9 we'll open-source the commercial features in order to
>>    make the OpenJDK builds more attractive to developers and to reduce
>>    the differences between those builds and the Oracle JDK.  This will
>>    take some time, but the ultimate goal is to make OpenJDK and Oracle
>>    JDK builds completely interchangeable.
>
> Do you plan to open-source Java Web Start too?

Not at this time.

- Mark