Resigning Mobile Project Lead

Johan Vos johan at lodgon.com
Wed Jan 17 13:14:37 UTC 2018

Hi,

The OpenJDK Mobile project has been a huge project so far. The resulting
work is a very important part in creating an end-to-end solution for Java 9
on Mobile. With Gluon, we now have a real cross-platform mobile solution,
based on Java 9 and JavaFX 9. This allows Java developers to write Java
apps once and deploy them to billions of devices, using the appstores. In
the whole history of Java, I feel we never came closer to WORA than we are
today.

As a community citizen, it is our duty to give back to the community.
Therefore, I am willing to increase my involvement in this project, and
move it forward. With the changes in the Java release cycle and repository
structure, and with the increasing role of Graal in the whole OpenJDK
system, I feel there are many challenges that have to be tackled in the
OpenJDK Mobile project. Those challenges provide great opportunities as
well, and in case I am given the opportunity, I am very excited to continue
this work.

To Bob, Gary, and the team at Oracle: thanks a lot for the great work you
did so far. Running Java 9 on a phone (the exact same classes that are also
executed on big servers) is not a trivial thing, but you managed to enable
it. It's up to the community now to prove that you did the right thing by
starting this project. Let's do that.

- Johan