Welcome to the "discuss" mailing list (Digest mode)

Jesper Wilhelmsson jesper.wilhelmsson at oracle.com
Thu Nov 11 20:41:11 UTC 2021

Hi Asha,

A good place to start is the OpenJDK Developers' Guide: https://openjdk.java.net/guide/

There you can read about different ways to get involved and contribute to OpenJDK. The best place to start is the different mailing lists (yes, you found one, there are many more :-) ). Look around among the project descriptions on https://openjdk.java.net to see if you find any particular project that sounds interesting, and join the mail list for that project or that area. (For more clarity on which lists to actually join see the Developers' Guide: https://openjdk.java.net/guide/#mailing-lists )

If you want to find some smaller issues to look into you can query the bug database for the label "starter". Not all areas use this label, but some do and there are a bunch of issues to look at there: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20starter%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open

Once you have a fix, send it to the proper mailing list. Do NOT create a PR on GitHub until you have an agreement from the list and have found a sponsor for your change. To learn what a sponsor is and why the mail list is the proper place to go in this case, see the Developers' Guide: https://openjdk.java.net/guide/#i-have-a-patch-what-do-i-do

Please note that you forwarded your welcome email from the mail list manager below that contains your password for the list. I'd suggest that you change that password unless you already did so.

Best of luck and welcome to the OpenJDK! Looking forward to see you on the mailing lists.
/Jesper