GraalVM on Snow Leopard

Douglas Simon doug.simon at oracle.com
Tue Apr 3 23:43:22 PDT 2012

Hi Jim,

On Apr 3, 2012, at 10:17 PM, Jim Duey wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm just starting to look at the Graal compiler and I'm excited about the possibilities.
>
> In the OpenJDK project page, it mentions a requirement for OSX Lion. What's the reason for that? Is it strictly a need for Java 1.7?

Java 1.7 is definitely a requirement for Graal. As to whether it works with Snow Leopard, I don't know as I've never tried it.

> I got 1.7 installed on Snow Leopard

I was not aware this was possible for the latest official builds of Mac preview release (http://jdk7.java.net/macportpreview/). What version are you using? On my machine, the output of 'java -version' is:

java version "1.7.0_04-ea"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_04-ea-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.0-b18, mixed mode)

> and doing an "mx build" gives the following:
>
> Error: could not find libjava.dylib
>
> Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.
>
> *** An XSLT processor (J2SE 1.4.x or newer) is required to bootstrap this build

If you send me the output of the following command, I may be able to help.

   mx -v build --no-java -c

-Doug