RFR(M): Graal PTX enhancements

Christian Thalinger christian.thalinger at oracle.com
Tue Apr 9 10:14:13 PDT 2013

On Apr 9, 2013, at 5:09 AM, Doug Simon @ Oracle <doug.simon at oracle.com> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Christian Thalinger <christian.thalinger at oracle.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 5, 2013, at 10:46 AM, Morris Meyer <morris.meyer at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Could I get a review of my recent PTX enhancements to Graal?   I've changed the tests to have a base class, extended the assembler, and have taken the test coverage of PTX from 2 to 23 tests.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>      --morris meyer
>>>
>>> WEBREV - http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~morris/Graal-PTX-Enhancements.01
>>
>> This is great!
>>
>> Looking at:
>>
>> graal/com.oracle.graal.compiler.ptx/src/com/oracle/graal/compiler/ptx/PTXLIRGenerator.java
>>
>> it seems we need to turn off "Organize imports" in our favorite editor.  Also indenting seems to be an issue.
>>
>> I know the answer is "use the mx script to create the IDE configuration" but no everybody is using Eclipse or Netbeans.  We need to find a way to keep this consistent without the help of an IDE (maybe Mercurial push hooks?).
>
> Any suggestions? It will at least have to be something compatible with the Eclipse formatter.

How about running the Eclipse formatter itself?

$ ./eclipse -nosplash -application org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCodeFormatter
No configuration file specified.

Usage: eclipse -application org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCodeFormatter [ OPTIONS ] -config <configFile> <files>

   <files>   Java source files and/or directories to format.
             Only files ending with .java will be formatted in the given directory.
   -config <configFile> Use the formatting style from the specified properties file.
                        Refer to the help documentation to find out how to generate this file.

   -help                Display this message.
   -quiet               Only print error messages.
   -verbose             Be verbose about the formatting job.

Or without the eclipse launcher executable:

$ java -XstartOnFirstThread -jar plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar -application org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCodeFormatter

I suppose there is a config file already somewhere.

-- Chris