RFR(S): 8166461: Deprecate UseAutoGCSelectPolicy

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Fri Oct 7 22:30:44 UTC 2016

> On Oct 7, 2016, at 4:48 PM, sangheon <sangheon.kim at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Can I have some reviews for this change to deprecate UseAutoGCSelectPolicy command-line option?
>
> The intent of UseAutoGCSelectPolicy option is to provide a way to automatically select GC based on target pause time. This option is introduced with AutoGCSelectPauseMillis and if MaxGCPauseMillis is smaller than or equal to AutoGCSelectPauseMillis(and if GC is not specified), low pause collector will be selected. I think it is enough to accomplish auto-GC-selection without UseAutoGCSelectPolicy.
>
> This patch only includes adding the deprecation message for UseAutoGCSelectPolicy option.
>
> CR: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8166461
> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sangheki/8166461/webrev.0
> Testing: JPRT
>
> Thanks,
> Sangheon

I thought the plan was to both deprecate the option, and to revert
its behavior to selecting between a throughput collector (Parallel)
and a low pause collector (probably CMS as before, though an argument
could be made for G1).  My understanding of the internal discussion
was that the deprecation of the option was sufficient to address the
concern of ergonomically selecting CMS if it is deprecated.