ClhsdbCDSCore jtreg test fails on OSX

Jaikiran Pai jai.forums2013 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 14:41:09 UTC 2019

Not sure if this is the right place to report this, but given that the
failing test is in test/hotspot, I thought best to ask here.

I was working on a unrelated fix and happened to run tier1 tests. All
went fine, except the
test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa/ClhsdbCDSCore.java failed with:

java.lang.Error: cores is not a directory or does not have write permissions
    at ClhsdbCDSCore.main(ClhsdbCDSCore.java:115)
    at
java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
Method)

Looking at the testcase itself, I see this
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/file/6f98d0173a72/test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/sa/ClhsdbCDSCore.java#l112

if (Platform.isOSX()) {

    File coresDir = new File("/cores");

    if (!coresDir.isDirectory() || !coresDir.canWrite()) {

        throw new Error("cores is not a directory or does not have write
permissions");

I'm on OSX. So this test expects a directory called "cores" at the root
of the filesystem? That looks odd. I don't have any such directory. Is
this an issue in the test case or am I missing some configuration to
have this "core" dump generated at some other location while running
this test?

-Jaikiran