RFR: 8308503: AArch64: SIGILL when running with -XX:UseBranchProtection=pac-ret on hardware without PAC feature

Hao Sun haosun at openjdk.org
Tue May 23 05:28:07 UTC 2023

When revisiting the behavior of UseBranchProtection [1], we get one SIGILL error when running with -XX:UseBranchProtection=pac-ret on hardware without PAC.

Problem:

We build and run `java --version` with the following configuration matrix `Config X VMoption X Machine`.

  Config = {--enable-branch-protection, null}
  VMoption = {-XX:UseBranchProtection=pac-ret, -XX:UseBranchProtection=standard}
  Machine = {w/ PAC, w/o PAC}

VM crashes with SIGILL error for configure `Config=null, VMoption=pac-ret, Machine=w/o PAC`. The unrecognized instruction is `pacia x30, x29`, i.e. `pacia(lr, rfp)` generated by function `MacroAssembler::protect_return_address()`. [2]

Root cause:

1. Instruction `pacia` is not in the NOP space. That's why `Config=null, VMoption=pac-ret` passes on `hardware w/ PAC`, but fails on `hardware w/o PAC`.

2. -XX:UseBranchProtection=pac-ret behaves differently from the document [3], i.e.

  In order to use Branch Protection features in the VM,
  --enable-branch-protection must be used

`_rop_protection` is not turned off for `Config=null`. That's why `VMoption=pac-ret, Machine=w/o PAC` passes with
`Config=--enable-branch-protection` but fails with `Config=null`.

Fix:

This patch refines the parsing of -XX:UseBranchProtection=pac-ret:

1. We handle "pac-ret" and "standard" in the same way, since only one type of branch protection is implemented for now, i.e. "pac-ret". We may update "standard" in the future if "bti" protection is added.

2. `_rop_protection` is not turned on unless all the three conditions are satisfied [4]. Otherwise, it's kept off and one warning message is emitted.

// Enable PAC if this code has been built with branch-protection, the
// CPU/OS supports it, and incompatible preview features aren't enabled.

[1] https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8287325?focusedCommentId=14581099&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-14581099
[2] https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/master/src/hotspot/cpu/aarch64/macroAssembler_aarch64.cpp#L5976
[3] https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/master/doc/building.md#branch-protection
[4] https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/master/src/hotspot/cpu/aarch64/vm_version_aarch64.cpp#L457

Commit messages:
 - 8308503: AArch64: SIGILL when running with -XX:UseBranchProtection=pac-ret on hardware without PAC feature

Changes: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14095/files
 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=14095&range=00
  Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8308503
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/14095/head:pull/14095