RFR: 8308503: AArch64: SIGILL when running with -XX:UseBranchProtection=pac-ret on hardware without PAC feature

Andrew Haley aph at openjdk.org
Tue May 23 15:29:48 UTC 2023

This looks good to me, but please read https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8287325 before you commit anything.

> > This looks good to me, but please read https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8287325 before you commit anything.
>
> Thanks for reviewing this patch.

> As for your comment, do you mean we should fix these two issues in one patch? Thanks.

No, but you do need to align. I added a suggestion above, for clarity.

src/hotspot/cpu/aarch64/vm_version_aarch64.cpp line 466:

> 464:     } else if (Arguments::enable_preview()) {
> 465:       // Not currently compatible with continuation freeze/thaw.
> 466:       warning("ROP-protection is incompatible with virtual threads preview feature. Disabling ROP-protection.");

Suggestion:

      _rop_protection = false;
      warning("ROP-protection is incompatible with virtual threads preview feature. Disabling ROP-protection.");