UseCompressedOops switch with more than 32gb heaps...

atulksh atulksh at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 18:40:13 UTC 2010

Hi Vladimir,
So what you are saying is, in a future Hotspot release, we will have the
ability to specify a heap greater than 32Gb for a VM and still use the
useCompressedOops switch. The VM will use compressed oops references, while
still allowing the VM overall to address more than 32Gb of heap.

What is the timeframe of such a feature (even if it is vague and not precise
it is fine) are we looking at - is it coming soon (less than a year)?

Thanks for your quick response.

Atul