Request for review (S): 8003820: Deprecate untested and rarely used GC combinations

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Thu Dec 20 14:48:07 UTC 2012

Hi Ramki,

Thanks for looking at this!

On 12/20/12 1:59 AM, Srinivas Ramakrishna wrote:
> Hi Bengt --
>
> Looks fine (although -- and this not part of the CR --
> Arguments::parse() seems to have grown rather large and wants to
> be refactored into a few distinct pieces -- perhaps by "functional
> module"; but that's another bug).

You are absolutely right. We need to clean Arguments::parse() up, but we
should not do it as part of this fix. :)

> What happens when you run CMS on a single-processor. I hope you don't
> see a deprecation warning.

Ooops. Good point. It took me a long while to find a machine with just
one cpu that could actually run JDK8. But you are correct. We will print
a warning in that case.

I think the fix is to not pick DefNew by default for single processor
machines. I'll see if I can get any performance data for that.

Thanks,
Bengt