RFR(S): 8217744: [TESTBUG] JFR TestShutdownEvent fails on some systems due to process surviving SIGINT

mikhailo.seledtsov at oracle.com mikhailo.seledtsov at oracle.com
Tue Jan 29 21:51:57 UTC 2019

Hi Erik,

   Thank you for review.

On 1/29/19 1:26 PM, Erik Gahlin wrote:
> Hi Misha,
>
> I noticed the "60_1000" when I reviewed you change the first time, but
> isn't it better to just let the process hang "forever" (i.e. 600 s) if
> it can't be killed than an arbitrary 10 s, which may or may not be
> sufficient?
>
> Determinism is nice when analyzing test failures. Remove the sleep,
> perhaps adding a System.out, or just let it sleep indefinitely, i.e
> Thread.sleep(1_000_000).
>
> Or would that not work?
I did experiment with the value of sleep. Original is 60_1000, which is
60 sec. I removed the sleep, and that lead to process surviving; I
figured it may take some time for signal to work its way thru, and for
process to properly handle the signal. And JVM takes extra time, of
course, to wrap things up, create hs_err log and jfr recording.

I guess I can change it back to 60 sec. In most cases, the process will
be killed shortly, so it will not matter. In some cases where it takes
that long, something is clearly wrong, which will be seen in the logs.
Having a really long timeout (e.g. 1000 sec) is unnecessarily long IMO;
it will most likely result in test's timeout.

If you are OK with it, I will revert back to what it was before, 60_000
? It worked in the past.

Thank you,
Misha