os::current_thread_id on Linux

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Jul 23 02:08:08 UTC 2015

On 23/07/2015 8:01 AM, Jeremy Manson wrote:
> Based on the feedback, this seems to be a good idea, approximately.
> Coleen would have sponsored, but she's going on vacation.  Anyone else
> feel like sponsoring?

Hold up a minute! :) There are different notions of "native thread id"
that exist. First we have the "user level thread id" - this is what is
reported by pthread_self in POSIX and thr_self in UI. Then we also have
the OS specific "thread" id, also referred to as a LWP or "kernel
scheduling entity" or "kernel thread" - the id for this is what gettid()
maps back to on Linux. This distinction may not exist on all platforms.

Unfortunately os::current_thread_id does not define which of these it
represents:

  // thread id on Linux/64bit is 64bit, on Windows and Solaris, it's 32bit
   static intx current_thread_id();

and so on some platforms it returns the "user thread id" (eg
pthread_self()), and on some it returns the same as gettid (ie OSX - but
I don't know if the mach thread id is truly a "LWP" id ?).

Also note that on some platforms the osThread stores the id of the
"user-level thread" and on some the "kernel thread". Hence another
source of confusion. :(

So if you want to enforce that os::current_thread_id() represents the
"kernel thread" then that should be applied consistently across all
platforms**, and for platforms for which there is a change to make you
have to ensure the usage of os::current_thread_id() is not semantically
altered by the change.

** Of course a platform may only have a single notion of "thread"

I'm happy to sponsor such a proposal. And don't worry about maintaining
compatibility with archaic Linux versions for JDK9 (less cleanup to do
later).