os::current_thread_id on Linux

Jeremy Manson jeremymanson at google.com
Thu Jul 23 05:15:46 UTC 2015

Hey David,

Thanks for the offer of sponsorship.  My goal here is really to make the
log output on Linux usable.  I want to be able to map the log output back
to an actual thread.  I don't think it really matters to users if the API
consistently means "kernel thread ID" or "threading API thread ID", as long
as they can figure out what the output means.

Since what I am doing (in effect) to accomplish my goal is to ensure that
the API returns the same value as osthread()->thread_id() does for the
os::current_thread_id could
just return osthread()->thread_id() for the current thread.  I don't have
easy access to anything for testing other than Linux, though, so whether it
worked (or even compiled) on the other platforms would be a bit of a guess
(per the last time we did this dance).

Seem reasonable?

Jeremy