[aarch64-port-dev ] RFR(S): aarch64 Fix loading ConstantPoolCacheEntry._indices with load acquire

Edward Nevill edward.nevill at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:07:11 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-20 at 22:07 +0800, Hui Shi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone help review and sponsor this fix for aarch64 runtime?
>
> Bug:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8143285
> webrev:  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hshi/8143285/webrev/

Hi Shi Hui,

Thanks for finding this.

Do you think this should be predicated on 'UseBarriersForVolatile'

IE.

   if (UseBarrieresForVolatile) {
     <ldar as you suggest>
   } else {
     <ldr>/<membar>
   }

This seems to be the only code in the Template Interpreter or C1 that uses acquire release. The only place acquire release is used otherwise is in C2.

Do you think we should just use membar to fix this problem and then as a separate issue look at whether we augment the membars in Template Interpreter / C1 to load acquire / store release when possible.

Thanks for looking into this,
Ed.