RFR(S): JDK-8203481 Incorrect constraint for unextended_sp in frame:safe_for_sender

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Mon Jun 18 07:39:04 UTC 2018

On 15/06/2018 7:02 AM, Daniel D. Daugherty wrote:
> On 6/14/18 9:44 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 06/10/2018 10:05 PM, David Holmes wrote:
>>> I have to admit I still can't connect all the pieces here. When we are
>>> operating in frame::safe_for_sender, what has set _unextended_sp? Can
>>> you walk through a complete example? I can't quite connect Andrew's
>>> example to the original problem.
>>>
>>> It still seems to me that the current frame should have:
>>>
>>> sp <= unextended_sp <= stack_base()
>> No.  We save SP, then remove unused stack, then call int a method.
>
> Where does this "remove unused stack" come from? And is that only
> an ARM thing? I don't remember seeing that on X64...

That's my confusion too. It seems to me this is being looked at from two
different perspectives. I'm assuming that if we start with a given SP
and then _add_ the extra stuff we get a new SP (logically an "extended
SP" and the original SP is saved as the unextended_sp - and hence SP
must be below unextended SP. But I have no real understanding of the
mechanics here I'm just going off the description of unextended_sp.

David