<i18n dev> [8]Review request: 8001231 : Move locale data out of rt.jar (except the US locale)

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Oct 31 03:06:46 PDT 2012

On 30/10/2012 16:33, Naoto Sato wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need someone to review my changes to the following bug:
>
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8001231
>
> The fix is to move locale data out of rt.jar into localedata.jar which
> will be optional in the compact profile
> (http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/161) The gist of the changes are in
> FILES_* files, but I also modified the makefiles for the new
> build-infra build. So I would appreciate your review in this area as
> well.
>
> The proposed fix is located at:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~naoto/8001231/webrev.00/
>
> Naoto
I looked through the changes and they look fine to me, it's good to have
this separation. Also good to see that you've also updated the makefiles
for the new build system. If we were continuing with the old build
system then I would suggested using AUTO_FILES_JAVA_DIRS as there
shouldn't be a need to list every source file for every locale in the
make files.

The only question I have is whether there is any performance
implications for the western Europe locales. I don't know if we've got
any tests that would tell us whether this is significant or not.

-Alan