<i18n dev> [8]Review request: 8001231 : Move locale data out of rt.jar (except the US locale)

Naoto Sato naoto.sato at oracle.com
Wed Oct 31 11:12:17 PDT 2012

Thank you for the review, Alan.

On 10/31/12 3:06 AM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> I looked through the changes and they look fine to me, it's good to have
> this separation. Also good to see that you've also updated the makefiles
> for the new build system. If we were continuing with the old build
> system then I would suggested using AUTO_FILES_JAVA_DIRS as there
> shouldn't be a need to list every source file for every locale in the
> make files.

Only tricky part is that for the US locale, it's not automatic. US and
non-US locale data co-exist in sun/text/resources/en and
sun/util/resources/en. Considering the traditional build is going away,
I just modified the existing file lists to work with the desired
US/non-US separation.

> The only question I have is whether there is any performance
> implications for the western Europe locales. I don't know if we've got
> any tests that would tell us whether this is significant or not.

Will look into this and come up with some data.

Naoto