<i18n dev> RFR: 8049343: (tz) Support tzdata2014f

Masayoshi Okutsu masayoshi.okutsu at oracle.com
Wed Aug 27 08:34:33 UTC 2014

Here are additional comments.

src/java.base/share/classes/sun/util/calendar/ZoneInfoFile.java:

I'm concerned about the workarounds. It's not new in this update, but
this problem would make tzupdater data void until the workaround is
added to the next update release. Could you please work with Sherman to
eliminate the workaround (outside of this 2014f update)?

src/java.base/share/classes/sun/util/resources/TimeZoneNames.java:

          String LORD_HOWE[] = new String[] {"Lord Howe Standard Time", "LHST",
-                                           "Lord Howe Summer Time", "LHST",
+                                           "Lord Howe Summer Time", "LHDT",

The S-D convention is applied to Lord Howe as well.

  567             {"Antarctica/Macquarie", new String[] {"Macquarie Island Time", "MIST",
  568                                                    "Macquarie Island Summer Time", "MIST",
  569                                                    "Macquarie Island Time", "MIST"}},

This one should also follow the S-D convention, although this time zone
doesn't observe daylight saving time.

+        String XJT[] = new String[] {"China Standard Time", "XJT",
+                                     "China Daylight Time", "XJDT",
+                                     "China Time", "XJT"};

Should the long names be based on Xinjiang?

Africa/Freetown is now a link to Africa/Abidjan. Those should be the
same time zone.

-            {"America/Metlakatla", new String[] {"Metlakatla Standard Time", "MeST",
-                                                 "Metlakatla Daylight Time", "MeDT",
-                                                 "Metlakatla Time", "MeT"}},
+            {"America/Metlakatla", new String[] {"Metlakatla Standard Time", "PST",
+                                                 "Metlakatla Daylight Time", "PDT",
+                                                 "Metlakatla Time", "PT"}},

-            {"Europe/Volgograd", new String[] {"Volgograd Time", "VOLT",
-                                               "Volgograd Summer Time", "VOLST",
-                                               "Volgograd Time", "VOLT"}},
+            {"Europe/Volgograd", new String[] {"Volgograd Time", "MSK",
+                                               "Volgograd Summer Time", "MSK",
+                                               "Volgograd Time", "MSK"}},

The long names should be changed accordingly.

Thanks,
Masayoshi