<i18n dev> [9] RFR: 8048123: Replace calendars.properties with another mechanism to specify a new Japanese calendar era

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Jul 22 12:49:25 UTC 2014

On 22/07/2014 08:06, Masayoshi Okutsu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please review the change for JDK-8048123. This change removes all the
> era definitions in ${java.home}/lib/calendars.properties. (The
> property file will eventually be gone later.) The major change is that
> any new era of the Japanese calendar should now be defined using new
> property "jdk.calendar.japanese.supplemental.era".

> Webrev includes some unrelated cleanups.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~okutsu/9/8048123/webrev.00/
I've skimmed over the changes (not a detailed review) and it's good to
have these properties dropped from calendars.properties. Clearly just
allowing for one additional era is a limitation and hopefully that will
not be an issue ever.

You might want to consider <pre> {@code ... } </pre> instead of the
<code> tag. Alternatively it could be tables (although they might be
harder to maintain).

There are a couple of @SuppressWarnings values that I don't recognize,
are these warnings that javac emits?

Other minor comments in passing. The changes to
LocalGregorianCalendar.parseEraEntry highlight that it is still using
StringTokenizer, there might an opportunity to use String split here
instead.  In getLocalGregorianCalendar you could use a lambda as has
been done in a few other places.

-Alan.